Patient Information: Male, Age 81
Diagnosis: COVID-19 / Acute Hypoxemic Respiratory Failure
History: This gentleman was referred to a skilled nursing facility for rehabilitation services due to severe debility and confusion after hospitalization for COVID-19. During hospitalization, he was found to have acute hypoxemic respiratory failure (not enough oxygen in the blood), as a result of COVID-19, and was intubated (placement of an artificial airway into the trachea) and placed on a ventilator (life support to assist breathing). During treatment he received convalescent plasma which led to removal of mechanical ventilation, but he required oxygen supplementation of three liters. Prior to his diagnosis of COVID-19, he lived at home with his wife and walked independently, no oxygen supplementation was needed.
• Transfers: Moderate (50%) assistance.
• Toileting: Moderate (50%) assistance.
• Ambulation: 50 feet with a rolling walker and moderate
• Modality: OmniCycle® Elite Motorized Therapeutic
• Frequency: 5x per week.
• Protocol Specifics: OmniCycle lower extremity neuro mode progressing from 15 minutes without resistance initially to
20 minutes at level 2 resistance to improve leg strength and endurance for transfers and ambulation.
• Duration: Eight weeks.
• Other Therapy Services Provided: Strength training, gait training, transfer training, activities of daily living, and
• Transfers: Independent with supervision for safety.
• Toileting: Independent with supervision for safety.
• Ambulation: > 200 feet with a rolling walker and supervision
This gentleman and his wife are thrilled with the progress he made in therapy! The director of rehabilitation credits the OmniCycle® as an integral part of his plan of care and his improvements in strength and endurance. He no longer requires oxygen supplementation and has now returned home!