Patient Information: Male, Age 67
History: This gentleman was referred to a skilled nursing facility for rehabilitation services after hospitalization due to a second stroke which resulted in lower extremity weakness and decreased balance. Prior to this stroke, he lived at home with his wife and walked with a hemi-walker.
• Bed mobility: Moderate (50%) assistance.
• Transfers: Moderate (50%) assistance of 2 people.
• Standing Balance: Poor; requires maximal (>75%) assistance and upper extremity support to maintain standing without loss of balance.
• Ambulation: 10 feet in the parallel bars with moderate (50%) assistance.
• Modality: OmniStand® Dynamic Balance System.
• Frequency: 3x per week.
• Protocol Specifics: OmniStand dynamic balance standing exercises to improve lower extremity strength and balance during standing and ambulation with decreased fall risk.
• Duration: Eight weeks.
• Other Therapy Services Provided: Therapeutic exercises, transfer training, gait training, bed mobility and balance exercises.
• Bed Mobility: Independent with guiding contact of the therapist.
• Transfers: Independent with steadying assistance of the therapist.
• Standing Balance: Fair plus; maintains standing balance without external support.
• Ambulation: 250 feet with a hemi-walker with steadying assistance and verbal cues from the therapist for safety.
This gentleman is thrilled with his therapy accomplishments! He has returned home with his wife and is walking throughout the house with improved leg strength and balance.